Hackers Want Your Medical Records Because
- Your medical records are worth more to hackers than your credit card.
- Hacking a medical practice or hospital’s systems is remarkably easy.
- Criminals are aware that medical facilities tend to invest money in equipment used to treat patients rather than in IT and security infrastructure.
The average social security number can be purchased on the dark web for around $15, but a medical record with all of the personal information attached can go for $60 or more.
If a criminal can get his or her hands on information that you have collected on your patients, they can use it to create fake identities that could allow them to buy (and resell) medical equipment or drugs, or they could combine a patient number with a false provider number and file fake claims . And because those records often contain addresses, phone numbers and employment history, criminals can also use this information to file fake tax returns.
TIPS FOR PROTECTING YOUR NETWORK- ONLY 1
- Hire reputable, experienced & dependable IT healthcare system administrators.
physicians are not alike why would you expect system admins to be? Just as there are specialist in the medical field so there are specialist in the IT field.
we believe the only way is a holistic approach to IT MANAGEMENT its not enough to treat symptoms over and over again, prevention and solid IT practices is the only way.
What sets apart a great system admin from a dangerous one?
what questions should I ask ?
1.ARE THEY FOCUSED ON HEALTHCARE IT RELATED PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS ALL DAY EVERYDAY? Versus switching on the fly incoherently, between restaurant support, insurance support, banking support and any other type of support they happen to find a customer for. Hey we are all great at something but rarely are we great at everything, it just makes sense to choose a specialist.
2. WHAT TYPE OF SYSTEMS DO THEY HAVE IN PLACE FOR MANAGING YOUR NETWORK? Just winging things by the seat of the pants is not enough anymore because a hacker just needs to be lucky one time. A system admin has to be vigilant all the time! and the only way to to that is to have systems in place 24/7
what kinds of systems ?
Systems For Communications– How does the system admin monitor each and every device on your network?
Systems For Security- Is there a layered approach to security, are the most basic things like Anti virus & Windows updates managed and documented versus left to auto updates
Systems For Help Desk- How does your staff reach the help desk quickly and reliably? Is there documentation and reports on tickets and resolution times.
we can get nerdy and spew out a bunch technical terms and confusing acronyms here , but why? you need the best in your corner fighting for you. Call us and give us the chance to impress you with our actions , not words!
Address:18756 Stone Oak Parkway, Suite 200 San Antonio, Texas, 78258, United States.